self build problems

arear 22:35 06 Jul 2003

Ive started building tow identical PCs but both of them have the folliwing problem...
When I start them, after about 30sec they cut out.
Ive reduced them to a PSU, keyboard, mainboard, CPU, FDD and RAM but it still does the same thing. I tried puting the bios to its fail-safe settings HA!!!
The mainboard is an MSI KT4A ultra series, I suspect this to be the culprit but think the cheap PSUs might be causing the problem too!
Any ideas?

Kevin-231320 22:52 06 Jul 2003

I think you will find this is an overheating problem. When you fitted the heatsink onto your CPU did you remove the tape off the heatsink compound. All the heatsinks I have seen have a small square of thermal compound but you must remove the protective tape before fitting. The reason for the shutdown is the motherboard protecting your CPU from meltdown.

If you cannot remember what you did it's worth a quick strip down to check.

Hope this solves your problem.

woodchip 23:00 06 Jul 2003

Go over the manual settings for the CPU

Simsy 06:47 07 Jul 2003

I had a similar problem.

It turned out to be that I had the internal speaker wires connected to the wrong pins on the mobo. (I can't remember how they were labelled on the mobo, but it was confusing!)

Putiing this right cured the problem. I presume it was causing some voltage instability.

It was a different mobo to yours, but might be worth checking.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

When you boot, do you get the single beep from the POST (Power on self test)?

This should tell you that the system is happy with the settings and configuration and will then start to boot. If you get the single beep and it then fails then yes - there is another cause.

You do not mention a graphics card on your pc is it on board graphics?

The minimum spec should be CPU, Ram, Graphics - you dont need anything else to get the PC to boot and if it wont boot with this then you have really narrowed it down.

Check the CPU settings as I feel that as it is happening on two PC's it is something in the way you have set it up rather than anything else.

keith-236785 07:26 07 Jul 2003

I agree with Simsy, check carefully the case to motherboard wires, they can be so awkward to set up correctly, if in doubt, unplug them all and just leave the power switch connected, try to boot again and see if it is any better, if that doesnt make any difference then maybe it is the overheating problem as suggested by K1Drive.

PA28 08:18 07 Jul 2003

What do you mean by "cut out"? Stop working totally? No power? Or crash with some message - or not? How far into the boot process do you get? Assuming that your PSU is set to the correct voltage (! sorry, but it can happen!) my first thought is that the motherboard settings have not been matched with the processor, but I think we need to know a bit more detail before we can be more accurate. You've started on the right road by stripping the system to the basics - although part of the equation may be that it might be expecting a hard drive to be around somewhere. You might also try using only a single known to be good memory SIMM/DIMM.

TECHNODIMWIT 08:27 07 Jul 2003

we had the same problem at college.

the msi k7n2g mobos didnt like the supplied ram.

once we were given the correct ram, we were running in minutes.

arear 09:25 07 Jul 2003

I can get it to go into the bios and let it run for about 15mins. One CPU reacher 47celsius and the other 52celsius so the temperature shudnt be a problem.
Ive got a 2200+ athlon in them, the default mb settings run it with a 100mhz FSB so it goes at 1500+. Once i get it to start booting I will put the FSB up to 133mhz. This problem is listed in the back of the manual but I assume the CPU will he happy enough running slower than its supposed to.

Bodi 10:09 07 Jul 2003

run at 1800Mhz? Why don't you set it to System PCI Frequency 133/33, CPU sytem Frequency 13.5 ( = 1795.5 Mhz)from the offset and see how it runs.

Presumably there are no jumpers on the motherboard to set your CPU frequency?

Then as Smiffy99 suggest, run minimum specs, and add as you go.

Just my humble opinion,

Bodi

Paroxetine 10:20 07 Jul 2003

hi , I recently built a system with a KT4v and put in a Duron CPU, only to find that the board heated teh CPU during post to about 65oC. Slightly too hot I think you will agree.

With this board its known to run hot on some chips, it does get slightly warm with the chip you are using as I found out when testing it on another machine.

I would suggest uprating the FSB to its required setting and using thermal paste and a good size fan, where possbile get the heatsink rated beyond your CPU by several clicks to prevent any possilbilty of a failure.

Hope this helps.

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?