Selective backup for recovery after clean instal?

bumpkin 16:45 15 May 2014
Answered

Not sure if this is possible. Can I backup just some programs like Imgburn, Speccy, Paragon, Partition Wizard etc without backing up the whole drive. Then do a clean instal of Win7 and recover them afterwards or do I have to start afresh.

bumpkin 17:26 15 May 2014

I thought so but if you can recover a whole drive onto a new HDD then why not some programs. I understand that I can't do it but would like to know why not as a matter of interest.

bumpkin 18:56 15 May 2014

Thanks for the explanation, looks like a clean instal imminent then, thanks to loads of crapware which seems to weazel its way in no matter how careful one is.

bumpkin 21:31 15 May 2014

Looks like the dastardly deed has to be done. What do you think are the first essential downloads, I would start with Avast and then Firefox.

bumpkin 18:04 16 May 2014

Tried a clean instal but problems, it went to "Start up Repair" without me choosing it and now seems to be in a loop whereby I cannot get into W7 any more whether the disc is in or not

rdave13 18:49 16 May 2014

Can you put the drive in a caddy, connect to another PC and format it? Then try again.

bumpkin 21:35 16 May 2014

It is booting from the CD but just wont work, it just goes to the start up repair option which I now cant stop even though I have taken out the disc. So I cant access W7 at all, not even safe mode, I am now using XP on the same PC if that means anything. I have tried recovery from a backup and failed to get that to work either. If I have to format it which it looks like I will can I use the format option on another system disc like XP or can I format it from within XP. At one point i did get the error 0x80070017.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:09 17 May 2014

How to Recover from an Infinitely Looping Startup Repair Loop without Reinstalling Windows

click here

bumpkin 12:34 17 May 2014

Thanks for the suggestions. I am reluctant to format it just yet as I want to ensure that I have a working backup first, one of which seems to be running now but takes a bit of time. From FruitBats link I tried using the command prompt but when I tried CD \windows\system32\config the path could not be found. Assuming that this back up works I will start afresh.

bumpkin 14:01 17 May 2014

"Do you not back everything to a external HDD from both your dual boot operating systems?"

Yes I do but I didn't explain very well. When the W7 drive that I wanted to do the clean instal on got "stuck in the loop" I thought I would restore it from a backup then start again when I could access it.

bumpkin 15:11 17 May 2014
Answer

"So where are we now?"

Recovery from the backup drive was successful, it was 3wks old. Seems to have solved a lot of the problems I was having also so I will leave the clean instal for now until I am in the mood for another few hours of needless aggravation.

Thanks for your support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?