Selecting Windows Operating system at boot up.

Colline 14:30 21 Feb 2008

I have reinstalled Windows XP from my recovery disk. I formatted C drive before reinstalling it. The installation went well, and I have updated to SP2 with no problem.
However, on boot up, the screen invites me to choose which operating system I want to use:
Windows XP Home Edition sp2 (the new one), or
Windows XP Home Edition sp2 (the old one).
Of course the old one isn't there, but the computer doesn't seem to know that.
How can I remove this unwanted procedure from the boot up sequence?

Acx 14:48 21 Feb 2008

Start/Run - Type msconfig

Click the Boot.ini Tab

[operating systems]
you will see two entries

click Check all boot Paths

Acx 14:51 21 Feb 2008

Sorry it should then give you the option to remove the one that's invalid

Colline 16:34 21 Feb 2008

Sorry, doesn't quite fix it. selecting "check all boot paths" I get the response:
It appear that all boot.ini lines for MS Operating systems are OK.
Of course, the 2 lines (well actually its 3 because I reinstalled XP before I realised I had to format the disk - I thought it would format the disk as part of the XP installation. So the result is I have three lines at boot up all offering Windows XP).
Now, the code lines for Boot.ini show 3 Windows: Windows, Windows0 and Windows1. The boot loader default is Windows1. Under operating systems there are 3 lines of code that describe the 3 systems. Trouble is I can't work out how to delete the 2 redundant lines. I did a computer search for Boot.ini with check systems folders and hidden folders allowed and I still couldn't find the file.

Acx 19:30 21 Feb 2008

Click start,
Right click "my computer" - select "Properties"
Select "advanced tab".
Go to "startup and recovery"
Select "settings" and go to "system startup" Select "edit".

You should see the 3 versions of Windows BE CAREFUL HERE, Highlight and delete the duplicate lines you want to get rid of (make sure you highlight it all as some of it will be off the page). Go up to "File" top left corner," and Save the changes.

you should be left with something like

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 21 Feb 2008

Removing an Operating System
At the command prompt, type:
bootcfg /delete /ID#
Where # specifies the boot entry ID that you want to be deleted from the operating systems section of the BOOT.INI file (e.g. 2 for the second Operating system that is listed.

Colline 20:50 21 Feb 2008

All sorted. Many thanks everybody.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?