Seems like no power to mouse monitor or keyboard

tulip 13:15 16 Jan 2006

Yesterday we opened my pc to transfer a hard disk from a defunct pc into my own. Once the power is turned on it seems like the pc is booting up without having to use the power switch but the keyboard light just flashes on then off and the monitor will not turn on properly. We have tried to put the the pc back to how it was and now but it still won't work. We were having trouble with the monitor sometimes not coming on so maybe this has killed it would that be possilbe. The hard drives seem to be seen when connected to a third pc.

madPentium 13:32 16 Jan 2006

did you change the ide leads around or change any jumpers on the hard drives?

Try disconnecting all the hard drives, and cd players, and see if you see a boot up screen.
When you switch on, how many BEEPS do you hear?

It could be you accidenatally dislodged something. My pc has a video card in the agp slot, and its very temperamental, one tap and I can lose the video signal. However, this gives one long beep followed by 3 short beeps.

rmcqua 14:00 16 Jan 2006

Are you sure that the power connector you are using for the HDD is OK? If you have a spare power connector from your PSU, try that.

tulip 18:30 16 Jan 2006

Hi I have tried your suggestions when the cd rom and hard disk were disconnected I didn't get any beeps. I also tried the spare power supply with no change.

Forum Editor 18:52 16 Jan 2006

so you can't see anything, but can you still hear drive activity as if the computer is going through the boot process?

When you opened up the computer did you disconnect the mouse, monitor, and keyboard? If you did, are you sure that you re-made the connections correctly?

tulip 20:20 16 Jan 2006

the mouse, monitor and keyboard are all plugged into the correct places. When it was first put back together it worked for a short while. Long enough for a boot up screen but since then nothing. It looked like it saw not hard disks from the boot up screen

PaulB2005 20:26 16 Jan 2006

What colour is the light on the front of the monitor? Orange or green?

tulip 20:40 16 Jan 2006

The light was orange then when I had the bolcks of colour it was green. Now I have rebooted it seems stuck on orange and the monitor seems to have stopped responding.

woodchip 20:44 16 Jan 2006

Check you have not disturbed Graphics or one of the Cable plugs push them all in with the power OFF

tulip 21:01 16 Jan 2006

Brilliant news looks like we have take off there is life in the old girl yet.
Thanks to all of you who helped.

woodchip 21:03 16 Jan 2006

So what was it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?