Security worries

irp 17:04 30 Dec 2006

Hi,
I have just recently had my computer repaired by the computer company who made it.The gent who fixed it said when he re started it that i should not have Zone Alarm Pro and e Trust Antivirus on together and i should uninstall one.i thought that Zone alarm Pro and the anti virus where from the same people and it was part of the same package, but I'm not that computer savvy and got rid of e Trust anti virus, after i had done this my pc was not protected which worried me and i did a system restore to get myself back to where i was. Please could somebody tell me what i should have.I run windows XP SP2 and i have pest patrol which comes with Zone Alarm Pro? and windows defender

Jackcoms 17:56 30 Dec 2006

"The gent who fixed it said when he re started it that i should not have Zone Alarm Pro and e Trust Antivirus on together and i should uninstall one"

Which was a load of cobblers.

Zone Alarm (firewall) and e-Trust anti-virus perform two completely different functions and the fact that they may be from the same company (I don't know, I don't use them) is utterly irrelevant.

Stick with what you have (Zone Alarm, Pest Patrol and Defender).

However, you MUST have an anti-virus program.

I'm not convinced that by doing a System Restore will have completely restored e-Trust AV after uninstalling it.

If you have the original installation CD, do a complete re-install.

If not, download click here or click here both of which are excellent free AV programs and are all you'll ever need.

anskyber 17:59 30 Dec 2006

If this is the ZoneAlarm Pro you have click here;jsessionid=FWomRKKYvEvJhaQ2Cy81Jw0jDOipwR9z6i8WM3A5QSSIMNKvELYW!-1593279030!-1062696903!7551!7552!NONE?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=dbtopnav_zass it is an anti spyware and Firewall but not an anti virus.

Perhaps you should speak to him again, he may be cofusing it with Zonealarm Security Suite which does include an anti virus element.

If I am right then indeed your security center should say (from control panel) that you have no Av.

anskyber 18:01 30 Dec 2006

Sorry about the rubbish link but it does work. Can I also echo Jackcoms advice which is spot on.

chocolate cake 19:46 30 Dec 2006

I have CA anti-virus the update to e-trust AV and ZA pro and have done for over a year now. They work perfectly well together and you should not be worried.

irp 15:08 31 Dec 2006

I would like to thank you all for your advice. My AV is updating, so i have it back working normally. Next time i get some advice given to me i think i will double check it before i do anything mad again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?