SECURITY for Word Documents

novis 19:22 26 Apr 2010

How do I send someone a word document so that they cant make any changes. I'm aware of the read-only option, but that doesn't prevent someone saving it as a copy and making changes.

I run Vista on a laptop - and all I've succeeded in doing by altering the security options is creating a document that I can neither open nor delete.

What's the answer to this. A PDF isn't - I've been asked to send it in Word.

mfletch 19:28 26 Apr 2010

Just a idea

Take a screen shot of it so its a picture {jpeg}

Plus water mark it.

lister_infiji 21:26 26 Apr 2010

I can't give you a definitive answer simply because I don't have multiple user accounts to test on currently. Also you did not specify which version of Word.

However, assuming Word 2007, which I have just taken a look at:

Go to the 'review' tab and then click the button on the far right labelled 'protect document' to the far right. I note you can apply editing restrictions to particular users. What I couldn't test without another user account to use is whether you can change these restriction settings with another account.

Also on this screen there is a 'restrict permission' link in the bottom right which I believe would be much more comprehensive, but this requires a further installation from Microsoft it seems.

ame 21:34 26 Apr 2010

Is there an answer? Even pdf's and jpeg images can be edited these days, can't they?

Belatucadrus 21:38 26 Apr 2010

Not used it myself, but have a look at click here Office Security OwnerGuard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone