Security for wireless set up

ant17 22:09 04 Jun 2008

Hi, I have recently bought a new lap top. i have had problems in the past with my wireless set up. I have connected to my wireless connection without a need for a password or anything. i am concerned that anybody could do the same! how do i change my settings to make it secure. i am using windows vista and have a zoom router. thanks in advance.

woodchip 22:16 04 Jun 2008

You need to go into Router Setup page and the go to Wireless settings to setup Encryption, You need the password to put into laptop wireless settings

Use WPA not WEP

ant17 23:04 04 Jun 2008

sorry, excuse my ignorance but how do i get the router set up page up?

woodchip 23:11 04 Jun 2008

OPen Internet explorer, You need to be connected by ethernet wire to do this. In IE try in the address bar at the top 192.168.1.1 press enter.if it goes you should get a page from router software asking for password try admin

ant17 09:05 05 Jun 2008

thanks woodchip.

I have connected my laptop by ethernet to the router but nothing happens when I put 192.168.1.1 in the IE bar. A friend suggested i may need a different number? how do I find this number?

martjc 10:32 05 Jun 2008

...either the router setup disk, or a paper manual which came with it?

Somewhere in the manual [paper or on disk] you'll find the address of the setup page and the encryption method.

Follow instructions carefully and it'll be a doddle!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?