Security for windows 7 starter

windsock 09:52 31 Jan 2010

Hi all one of the kids just bought a dell mini laptop with windows 7 starter installed, I am after some recommendations for a free firewall and anti –virus
On the other comps we use, Zonealarm and Avast. would these be compatible with windows 7 starter any recommendations much appreciated.

birdface 11:36 31 Jan 2010

Windows firewall should be good enough.If you used avast before use it again.Then maybe add Superantispyware and Malwarebytes and you cant go far wrong with those.And off course add Spywareblaster.

g0nvs 15:26 31 Jan 2010

AVG Free & Zonealarm work fine on Win 7.

john bunyan 15:30 31 Jan 2010

PC tools Firewall, Avira anti virus. Also SAS and Malawarebytes are all ok and free.

GaT7 15:50 31 Jan 2010

Is there anything valuable on the netbook? If not, then I agree with buteman about Windows' own firewall being good enough. Adding a third-party firewall may slow it down too much.

Install any one of the anti-virus programs suggested above & SpywareBlaster.

I've been using Windows firewall (XP's, which is only one way) for the last 4-5 years with no problems at all. G

windsock 20:54 31 Jan 2010

hi all thanks for your replies i went with buteman on the firewall and thought id give windows Microsoft Security Essentials a try will see how they go .
once again thanks for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone