Security updates for windows XP

Charlitax 12:10 10 Jun 2004

I keep getting the same security update downloading onto my pc ( yes i do know the arguments for and against automatic updates and i choose to have this selected ). The update is KB828741. Firstly is this the same update time after time or is there something different that i have missed, and secondly do i need it. I am running xp pro.

feb 12:50 10 Jun 2004

Hi Charlitax, go to click here and download the fix manually to see if that sorts it

Charlitax 13:34 10 Jun 2004

I have done the manual update, turned of the pc, turned back on on then checked for new updates and after scanning was told that 1 critical update was available. Guess what that was? Yes the same one. This has been installed 19 times (according to my update history) since 15 April 2004 anymore help please

feb 14:55 10 Jun 2004

Is there an option to remove the update in add/remove programs? If not then it is may not be installed

feb 15:08 10 Jun 2004

You could try opening the "iuhist.xml" file located in
Program Files\Windows Update\V4 and look for an Installation
ErrorCode associated with KB828741.

Charlitax 15:22 10 Jun 2004

It is sitting nicely in my add/remove programs. There dosen't seem to be an error in the "iuhist.xml" file. Antwhere else i should be looking?

GaT7 15:45 10 Jun 2004

If it's showing up in Add/Remove programs & there's no error in the iuhist.xml file then it most probably has installed correctly.

To confirm whether this is true or not install/run Belarc Advisor click here. Check the report you get. See if the above update (Hotfix) is present or not. If it is & has a 'verifies correctly' tag (green tick) then it has installed correctly & you have nothing to worry about.

PS - there's a way to configure your PC so that it doesn't show up again, but that's the next step...

Charlitax 16:07 10 Jun 2004

Thanks Crossbow7 Unfortunatly that hotfix has a tick next to it any chance of letting me know what the next step is.

GaT7 16:49 10 Jun 2004

Do you mean fortunately (not unfortunately!) that hotfix has a tick next to it...?

I was thinking of giving you a way to configure your PC's Windows update not to reoffer the above update, but try these first:

1. Do one last check at the Win update site. If the update is still reoffered then try the next steps.

2. Open Explorer and navigate to Windows/System32 and rename (or delete) the folder Catroot2 to OldCatroot2. This changes the time stamps and makes Windows believe it has not tried to upload the updates before.

OR,

Type into CMD (Start -> Run. Type CMD. Press OK.)

del /q "%SystemRoot%\System32\Catroot2\Edb.log

[note single space after del & q] & press Enter.

Go back to the Win update site & see if this problem recurs.

(Source: click here - see post by The Spires)

Good luck, G

Charlitax 17:21 10 Jun 2004

Sorry i'm a little confused as to where to type del /q "%SystemRoot%\System32\Catroot2\Edb.log. Have done (Start -> Run. Type CMD. Press OK.) and a black box comes up with a curser blinking at the end of C:\Document and Settings\Name>
Typed the above line after this but was told that systen could not find file specified. The previous instructions (replace Catroot2 with OldCatroot2) didn't work

GaT7 18:11 10 Jun 2004

I'm a little confused too as you said, '..unfortunately that hotfix has a tick next to it...' So the hotfix has indeed verified correctly?

Did you do another check to see if the update is still being offered at the Win update site? If it isn't then you're OK.

If not, in the CMD (command) window, press Backspace till you're left with C:\. Now carefully type in the above command & press Enter. If all goes well try the Win update site again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?