Security software - Running timetable

RKMonty 00:12 20 Mar 2009

Hi and just would like a little guidance... I have Windows Vista.
I have loaded Avast A/V and Comodo Firewall which I believe are 'live running' applications.

I have also downloaded Spybot, Spyware Blaster, A- Squared, Super Anitspyware and Malware Bytes.
These I believe have to be run manually.......
how frequent would you advise I should run these ??
Finally I believe that the above should 'cover my pc' well security wise or have I missed something ?
Greatful of any tips or advice.
Thanks.

ACOLYTE 00:31 20 Mar 2009

Spywareblaster only needs updating and then applying the protection,it doesnt need to be run,you can check every couple of days for updates,i usually do it every week on a saturday.
Spy bot you can run when you first get it and update,immunise,then when you run it again varies
if you go to a lot of dodgy sites and download dodgy things,i would say run a scan at least every 2/3 days if you dont do any of that once a week should be ok,always udate and immunise first.
A-squared/superantispy again only updating and running when you feel you need to once a week,or every 2/3 day depending on your surfing habits,just there to use when you see fit.Keeping them upto date is important for when you do need to run them.

RKMonty 00:33 20 Mar 2009

Acolyte...thanks for the useful info.
Any thoughts on Malware Bytes ? Thanks

Belatucadrus 01:15 20 Mar 2009

I think you've overdone it, the latest version of avast incorporates anti malware coverage so running four additional anti spy/malware progs is a touch of overkill.
I'd use avast!, SpywareBlaster as a blocker and just one of the others to run as a backup check every now and again.

Taff™ 07:07 20 Mar 2009

I agree with Belatucadrus but perhaps run two of the anti-malware programs alternately. Say Spybot one week and Asquared the next. What one misses the other will get. Update Spyware Blaster every couple of weeks.

RKMonty 11:11 20 Mar 2009

To all.... have noted your comments and advice and have acted on them Many thanks once again

birdface 11:56 20 Mar 2009

Just to be different.Spybot is not as good as it used to be,A Squared and Malwarebytes are the 2 that I use.Maybe run one during the week and the other at the weekend.And off course have Spywareblaster in use as well.

RKMonty 12:34 20 Mar 2009

Thanks for the info.... in the wonderful world of software its great to have the different views and preferences of people opinions Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?