security software

puma22 11:34 27 Feb 2005

I am running XP home SP2 and want to install norton system works but have two queries.
first, do I need to disable any of the XP protections, if so which ones?
Second, will this be enough? for example do i need to use anything additonal like zone alarms?
Many thanks

Jeffers22 11:42 27 Feb 2005

Disable the XP firewall before you install Systemworks - if Systemworks includes the Norton firewall.

Bear in mind that Systemworks is an intrusive and far reaching piece or software. It uses up a fair amount of your PC's resources.

If you are on broadband, and do not have a router with a built in firewall or are on dial up I would strongly recommend a software firewall. Zone Alarm is very good.

ACOLYTE 11:44 27 Feb 2005

Not sure you may need another firewall as i dont know if system works includes a firewall i think it does include a virus scanner.You should not have to dissable any XP systems to install and the windows firewall should be on after if there is no firewall with the package.

Belatucadrus 12:39 27 Feb 2005

click here looking at this Systemworks doesn't appear to have a firewall, so either have the XP one on as acolyte suggested or add one of the freebies click here

Happy Soul 13:23 27 Feb 2005

Have a look at Woddchips thread click here

puma22 14:35 27 Feb 2005

Thanks for the advice. I have already bought systemworks so even though the link is useful, i dont want to buy more software.
i dont think that systemrworks comes with a firewall as separate. It has antivirus and anti worm???? Will use zone alarms - it is on the old PC and has been really useful. If I use this what do i need to disable in XP?
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?