Security programs to keep

SB23 13:44 04 Aug 2006

I think overkill is what some people will say, but I would like to know which programs are worth keeping on my pc, as over the months I think its got a little out of hand.
Now, not all programs start when the pc comes on, but surely I don't need all of them.
Here's the list,

Avast
Sunbelt Kerio firewall
Ad-aware
Spybot
Windows Defender
Spywareblaster
BHODemon
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
Ewido - Free version
Aol Active Security Monitor
Aol Computer Check Up
Aol One Click Fix
CCleaner

I realise that the antispyware programs do vary in what they find, and I know the rule, one antivirus, one firewall etc, but I would like a little advice please, on which ones to keep.

Thanks

Steve

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:52 04 Aug 2006

Avast, Sunbelt Kerio firewall. Windows Defender, Spybot are all you need + common sense. Anything more is overkill.

G

SB23 14:01 04 Aug 2006

As I thought GANDALF <|:-)>.
What about the Aol stuff, worth keeping or not? The One Click Fixes seems to be a handy little program.

stylehurst 14:20 04 Aug 2006

Personally I would keep Avast, Kerio, Ad-aware, & CCleaner

Belatucadrus 15:07 04 Aug 2006

I'd go just a bit further :
avast!
Sunbelt Kerio firewall
Windows Defender
Spywareblaster
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
CCleaner

And occasional double checks with Super anti spyware, but it hardly ever finds anything, so it's rare.

ade.h 15:10 04 Aug 2006

I'm with Belatucadrus:

Keep all those except the AOL stuff (which is probably not as good and certainly not better) and possibly Defender Beta.

SB takes up no resources at all, as you probably know, so that's worth having. Ewido is neat. I don't like Defender Beta very much - quite inflexible.

Kerio is my favourite firewall (and I've tried most of them).

SB23 15:12 04 Aug 2006

I'm afraid the jury is still out on Spywareblaster. I've never really known how effective this program actually is.

ade.h 15:14 04 Aug 2006

It's hard to tell, but that goes for all anti-malware apps if they don't find anything. It's based on solid principles anyway.

SB23 15:15 04 Aug 2006

The Aol stuff I simply cannot find to get rid of, as I think they tie up the system.(Aol can be slow, even on BB). Will do a search for them now.

skidzy 15:32 04 Aug 2006

As Defender Beta2 will be stopped on December the 31st 2006 or the date a commercial version is launched (which ever first) maybe considering an alternative like Spywareblaster would be a good bet.

Defender on my system never seems to find anything,whereas Spybot and Ewido do,so how good is Defender i ask....does anyone really know !!!

SB23 15:34 04 Aug 2006

Found them. In the add/remove under Aol uninstaller.

Will keep for the time being,

Avast
CCleaner
Spybot
Sunbelt Kerio Firewall
Windows Defender
BHODemon, (I know it works)
Aol Active Security Monitor (95% protection at the mo)
I'll leave Spywareblaster for the time being, see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache