security password

steveyc 12:17 02 Jan 2003
  steveyc 12:17 02 Jan 2003

my girlfriend has been given an old laptop from work, a box keeps popping up when she tries to log on , the box is asking for an internet content security password, noboddy at her office knows this password as the guy who put this on this laptop has since left, any ideas?

recap 12:35 02 Jan 2003

steveyc, does your girlfriend need to log on to a network?

If not then there should be an option to cancel and get into the laptop locally.

If this password is coming up when trying to access the Internet then you will have to have the password, as it sound like restrictions have been set for accessing the Internet.

Sometimes you can get the password from the registry if you know what you are doing in there.

nightporter 12:49 02 Jan 2003

It sounds like its the content advisor, from internet options. You can change it from the registry as I have done it before, but cant remember how. I'll be back, unless someone beats me too it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:43 02 Jan 2003

1) Click on Start and choose Run.

2) Type in Regedit and select OK.

3) Now click on the little plus sign to the left of H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4) Continue to drill down, always clicking on the plus sign at the left of the named key, through Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version and Policies.

5) Now click on the Ratings folder.

6) In the right pane of the RegEdit window, you'll see an icon called Key. Click on it and press Delete.

7) Next, choose Registry and then Exit to exit RegEdit. You've just deleted your original Content Advisor password.

8) Restart the computer and run Internet Explorer again.

9) Choose View and then Internet Options

10) Click on the Content tab and click on Disable. When asked for a password, don't enter anything; just click on OK. This will disable Content Advisor because there's no longer a password.

G

encriptor 15:21 02 Jan 2003

email me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?