Security of of ordering with credit card from work

jz 11:25 22 May 2004

I sometimes order things on the internet from work, entering my credit card details. Where I work, we are allowed to use the internet out-of-hours and at lunch times. The websites I use claim to be high security, but the internet connection to my work PC is not direct to a telephone line but via the computer network at work.

Where is the encryption done? on my PC or on the network server at work? If it's the network server, then presumably, the IT department at work could see my credit card details - not good. So how safe is it to do this. I guess the same applies to using on-line banking at work too.

Fruit Bat 11:38 22 May 2004

Don't do it

You are right IT dept will beable to read your credit card details even if you clear the cache.

spuds 11:38 22 May 2004

Never considered this, as I have always believed that the method of payment was safe if the padlock or https appeared.All my transaction, I assume, are like everyone elses.From me via a server [ISP] then into the sellers encryption system.

But as you state, what happens when it goes via 'computer network'. Especially if the 'host' company as a checking device.

vinnyT 11:45 22 May 2004

Again this comes down to the privacy issue. Employers these days often monitor the use of their computer equipment, both email and internet use. There are a number software packages on the market which enable them to do this transparently, such as keyloggers, which will record every single action taken on the pc in use.

Basicly, if you enter your passwords/credit card numbers into a webpage, the tech support/manager/or whoever is responsible for monitoring computer activies within the firm will be able to read these.

Most companies will inform employees of monitoring and tell you what is and what is not acceptable use.

Personally, I feel that bank/credit card details should only be entered into a computer at home. Having said this, I am not implying that anyone with access to this info at your work would misuse it, but why take the risk?

I have seen people enter financial details into pcs at the library, who were shocked when informed how insecure their data was.

Hope this helps.

Fruit Bat 11:51 22 May 2004

Simple steps for use of online purchasing?

1. Always use your personaal computer

2. Never use a Debit Card. Credit cards only, even better a seperate card just for use online

3. Only use on secure sites (locked padlock at bottom of screen.)

4. Erase internet cache, cookies and history on complettion.

If I've forgotten anything someboy please remind me!!!

Mango Grummit 12:10 22 May 2004

"If I've forgotten anything someboy please remind me!!!"

You probably did not forget anything but you either did not read or understand the question.

The question was -- Where is the encryption done? on my PC or on the network server at work? If it's the network server, then presumably, the IT department at work could see my credit card details - not good. So how safe is it to do this. I guess the same applies to using on-line banking at work too.

the pie eater 12:16 22 May 2004

Yes the IT can see your details but also it shows who has looked at your details so if anyone from the IT look at your card and use it, you can see who in that department has looked at you card details. is all down to trust i have done it for years no problems

jz 12:36 22 May 2004

Thanks for your replies. I know that several people at work use on-line banking, but they probably aren't aware of the possible risks.

spuds 19:46 22 May 2004

bump

Sir Radfordin 20:07 22 May 2004

The banks mustn't see a problem with using computers you don't own to access their systems since they nearly all give advice about logging on from public computers.

Any employee of the company you work for found to be using your credit card details is likely to be in serious troubel, not only with the law, but also the employer.

It is possible that all traffic along a network can be monitored though I'm yet to meet anyone working IT that has the time to carry this out.

I'd have said your fairly safe on the online banking/shopping front from your work computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?