Security online help

stu1162 10:36 10 Nov 2007

My debit card has recently been used by someone trying to obtain goods to the effect of £1000+ and I am now reluctant to buy online even though I used secure sites.
I have a wireless connection (security enabled),IE 7 browser,the antivirus AVG free edition, ZoneAlarm free edition firewall, Spybot and Ad-aware.
Are there any different programmes that I could use instead to make my browsing more secure and even if I have to purchase such software what would readers recommend?.
Thank you

rawprawn 10:43 10 Nov 2007

I don't think that you can do much more, and it is unlikely that your problem arose from using your card online.
Have a word with your Credit Card company, for example Barclays allow you to register free for "Barclays Verification" which offers a lot of extra protection.

Andsome 10:48 10 Nov 2007

Is your wireless connection secure. People do cruse round trying to find insecure wireless connections and then use them to access the INTERNET. If you are insecure, it is possible that you are also paying for other people to use your connection.

click here

chris05 10:55 10 Nov 2007

You might want to think about getting a pay pal account

click here

it is free to buy with pay pal but they take a small charge for people to pay money too you through it, just read the three FAQ's on the home page.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:24 10 Nov 2007

There is virtually no chance of this happening online through your computer. I would look at garages and restaurants for the culprits.

anniesboy 11:51 10 Nov 2007

I concur with Gandalf;as this happened to me.
Credit Card Company were certain in was a petrol station and not online.

stu1162 09:12 12 Nov 2007

Thanks guys for the replies, I wish I could find out more details about the transaction but due to data protection I am not allowed the information.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?