Security for NetgearDg834G

KSG2006 12:09 12 Mar 2006

Do I have to do anything when I set this up ? I have read about people being able to access files etc through wireless connection. is this true or will a normal firewall etc do ?

Giggle n' Bits 14:28 12 Mar 2006

I will soon be in the same boat, I would say have a look at click here which is Netgear's website.

Hope this helps you, but please post back if still need help, someone with more knowledge should be able to help you.

retep888 14:42 12 Mar 2006

Under the wireless setting, you should be able to set up your desired security level.

If you prefer,you can turn off the SSID broadcast either.

ade.h 19:36 12 Mar 2006

Getting more specific... click here provides documentation and FAQs for that particular model. Most of its content will also apply to most other models in the range of course.

ade.h 19:38 12 Mar 2006

Actually, that's less specific because the earlier link is one of those featured on that page. My error!

KSG2006 20:10 12 Mar 2006

Thanks. I have looked the online manual and I'm confused (doesn't take a lot !) I have changed the default password now. When I turned on my wireless laptop it found the connection and I was able to access the internet ok. What concerns me is what is stopping say, my neighbour from using our broadband connection aswell ?

retep888 20:21 12 Mar 2006

you have another thread runningclick here

So,your router is actually up and running?

I was about to post for that.

As I said in my earlier post,you can log in the web page,under the wireless setting section,you have choices of your security settings.

KSG2006 21:08 12 Mar 2006

Yes, it is up and running now. I did read the manual but I am still confused. What does changing the default password actually do ? Can someone outside access any files/personal info on my pc ? I have a firewall and for this system it says it has a built in firewall ?

Yes, it is up and running now. I did read the manual but I am still confused. What does changing the default password actually do ? Can someone outside access any files/personal info on my pc ? I have a firewall and for this system it says it has a built in firewall ?

retep888 21:53 12 Mar 2006

If you don't change the router's default password and you have an open network i.e. no security settings,anyone within range can log into your router's web page and change all the settings or lock you out.

Go to the router's web page and click wireless settings and give your network a name if you want ,the default one is Netgear.

Uncheck allow broadcasting SSID,you can check it back on if you decided to add on another pc and you have difficulty to find the network.

Choose WEP or WPA-PSK security level to your choice,the righthand side panel on the web page should give you some ideas.

The router's or the pc's firewall won't stop people from sharing your connection.

Always configure the router wth an ethernet cable,because once you setup wireless security,you'll lose connection until you type in the security code on the pc's wireless adapter's configuration wizard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?