Security / Licensing

confused_alan 17:04 12 Nov 2010

I have just got a new Windows 7 laptop, and despite a few teething troubles with my scanner (separate thread) it seemd to be working o.k.
I do, however, have a couple of worries.

1. I tried contacting Microsoft when I was looking into the scanner problem, and ended up asking a question in Windows Live Help. I then received an e-mail, allegedly from Microsoft, asking me to click on an embedded link with over 120 unintelligible gobbledegook characters in it ! The excuse was to avoid spam!!!!
Now, am I being paranoid in regarding this as unreasonable? Is it genuine? I e-mailed back to Microsoft via their website and the reply said "As I do not have the expertise to assist you......." and went on to ask me to ring a premiumn rate 0844 number.
Should I pass this on to Trading Standards or some Internet Police? Or are Microsoft really trying to drive a coach and horses through sensible security precautions and financially fleece anyone who queries it?

2. I was offered an automatic update for the Adobe Flash Player installed on my laptop. The installation process asked me to read and acknowledge their EULA, which downloaded as 280 pages. I'm not going to do that, and if anybody says they have I suspect they are lying. Again, do these people take security seriously? Do they live on the same planet as us?

GaT7 17:29 12 Nov 2010

Relax, none of it is as bad as they sound.

Did the MS support email have any details at all about the specific scanner problem? Was it sent to the same email address you provided MS during the WL Help.

A 0844 number isn't really too bad when it comes to 'premium' rates. We'd all be concerned if it was £1.50/min, but it's much lower. You are aware that you have a free choice to call it or not?

I've been updating Adobe Flash Player without reading the EULA & haven't had a single problem. And I'm sure 99.9999999999% of their other users have done the same with the same result. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?