Security with a less clunky footprint?

AllThumbs 00:52 22 Mar 2009

Hi folks,

I've been using AVG internet Security for sometime and have been pretty happy with it. However I recently reinstalled my system and when I came to start checking out how things were running I realised that under the Task Manager AVG has about 10 processes running with a pretty hefty memory footprint as well. Now, I use this pc for lots of things which are pretty system intensive, including fps games, so having things like this impact on the base system isn't so good.

I know that there was a review in PCAd recently about secuity system software, but it made no mention of system impact, memory take up etc. So can anyone recommend a good system security package (ie firewall and AV) which has a small system impact? (oh, and exclude Norton - which I dislike because it weaves itself through a system, Zonealarm because it disagrees with some of my software and McCaffee which simply can't do the job)

rdave13 01:04 22 Mar 2009

Can't recommend a security package as I think they work as an intrusive type of program akin to malware. Just my opinion though.
Simple standalone security is best I think;

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

rdave13 01:07 22 Mar 2009

Oops linked to Windows defender twice, apologies.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 08:57 22 Mar 2009

click here
this thread from skidzy tells you all you need.

AllThumbs 12:58 22 Mar 2009

Many thanks guys,

I will look into all of these. Wish I'd done this before I purchased another year of AVG but I'd rather have it set up safe and right than just conveniently and unsafe.

mrsureshot 19:59 22 Mar 2009

I use Avast and have been pretty happy with it. Its not a system hog and has a nice user interface.

AllThumbs 20:32 22 Mar 2009

Seems that Comodo is now a firewall plus AV. Proving difficult to find a good firewall that's simple to use but is just a firewall.

Don't want either Norton or Zonealarm.

Will continue to look.

(Would be happy with Avast as the AV)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone