Security Key for wireless internet???

giosblue 22:01 23 May 2006

A friend of mine has just installed wireless broadband with AOL.

The problem is when he turns on his laptop it finds the network connection but says he needs a security key?

Anyone throw any light on the matter?

MIke 22:19 23 May 2006

Is it printed on the bottom of his router/modem. I'm with BT and the key is on a label on the modem/router

giosblue 22:24 23 May 2006

"Is it printed on the bottom of his router/modem. I'm with BT and the key is on a label on the modem/router"

I don't know, but even if it was how would i use it? On the connection screen which shows the signal strength it says he needs on but theres no where to put it to log on?

MIke 22:35 23 May 2006

Can't help you there I'm afraid, In my connection window there is a field that says network key, then another asking to confirm the key.

Over to AOL users.

woodchip 22:42 23 May 2006

It should go into the Router setup page. You should have a number to put into router something like this, start IE then put the number in for your router mine is 192.168.1.1 that goes intu the address bar then you press enter to get into setup. But you need to put the correct number into IE address bar before it will work. Then if you get into setup the key should go into wireless settings

giosblue 22:50 23 May 2006

Thanks woodchip,

The problem is I don't have any instructions for the router. Its a speedcom 576?

I know what you mean about the settings, I just can't seem to get to them. If I get in there is it possible to turn this security key off?

And the other problem is it loses its wired connection when you mess around.

woodchip 22:55 23 May 2006

It is but not wise. You could try different numbers to get in like start with the one I posted and then change last number and second last number these should only be in low numbers like 1/ 2/ or 3

What is the router?

MIke 23:00 23 May 2006

Do you mean speedtouch 576? According to AOL site they support speedtouch 576 wireless router if so you can get a manual here:

click here

it's about half way down the page

giosblue 23:02 23 May 2006

"What is the router?"

speedcom 576 provided by AOL. he's tried phoning them. Complete waste of time.

MIke 23:04 23 May 2006

If it is that model the ip address to access the router as per Woodchip's pos is stated to be 192.168.1.254

woodchip 23:06 23 May 2006

If it is a Speedtouch you could load Dr Speedtouch it should find the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?