security key for laptop

kimosabi 19:43 20 Jan 2010

Hi Guys
I Have a Belkin54g modem fsd7230-4
I have been trying for weeks off and on to setup a security key but have failed miserably.
I have tried all the different keys and inserted passwords but my laptop still won't connect to the net red cross on the wireless icon viewed all networks but nothing there.I then set it back to disabled and I am back on the net I hope I am explaining myself ? What am I doing wrong because it seems an easy thing to do.So please can anyone take me through this step by step I would appreciate any help
Regards
kimo

mgmcc 19:49 20 Jan 2010

You don't say what type of encryption you're using in the Router - WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc - or which operating system you're using. It may be that the Wireless Network Adapter you're trying to connect with doesn't support the encryption used.

kimosabi 20:12 20 Jan 2010

Hi mgmcc
I am not using any encryption thats what I am tring to do I am on winxp the wireless adapter is a
intel(r)pro/wireless 3945ab if thats what you mean
Kimo

kimosabi 20:31 20 Jan 2010

mgmcc
Its a belkin 54g wireless router not a modem
my mistake
kimo

mgmcc 23:07 20 Jan 2010

When you connect to a wireless network for the first time a "profile" is saved so that, in future, the wireless adapter will connect automatically whenever the network is available.

If you then enable encryption in the router, the "profile" becomes invalid. You need to delete the existing profile and then go through the procedure to "Connect" again. You will be prompted to enter the encryption key and, once connected, a new profile will be saved. Have you done this?

These instructions relating to the removal of wireless profiles might help click here

Graham. 23:34 20 Jan 2010

You may have to connect by cable to change this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache