security implications of wireless network

conigio 09:43 06 Dec 2007

I want to set up a local wireless network,but a person I know said he could hack into a wireless network and find my bank details and pass words.
is this true.?

Kemistri 11:00 06 Dec 2007

If you use WEP, then of course you can hack it. No trouble. If you use WPA/WPA2, you can't in practical terms. Unless you happen to work for CIA or something and have a lot of time to spare. What would you be doing leaving bank details and passwords on a PC??

ambra4 10:40 07 Dec 2007

Look at MAC Address Filtering in the router for extra security

The manufacturer normally turns “off” this feature, because it requires a bit of effort to set up properly.

However, to improve the security of your Wifi LAN strongly considers enabling and using MAC address filtering.

For a more secure Wireless network you can specify that only certain Wireless PCs can connect to the wireless system

MAC Address Filtering is found in the Firewall Sub-Menu on the router

You can also find the MAC address on each computer by right click on the 2 displays

Icon in the task bar-Status-Support-Detail button the Physical Address at the top is the

MAC address of the computer

click here

Kemistri 11:23 07 Dec 2007

Physical address filtering is basically irrelevant as a form of security on a wireless network. Why? Because the physical addresses are transmitted in plain form in each and every header, which can be readily intercepted using a packet analyzer regardless of encryption, and the addresses can readily be spoofed with a MAC spoofing utility, which has legitimate uses in networking. click here

irishrapter 15:16 07 Dec 2007

Yes forget MAC filtering or hiding the SSID.

Here is a quote on the subject from my other posts:

WPA / WPA2 is great but remember that its only as good as the password used.
If you use a simple dictionary password then it can be broken by running a dictionary attack.
Use a random password which contains at least 20 characters long. Maximum is 63, minimum is 8, I use a password which is 60 characters long.

click here to generate some passwords.

irishrapter 15:18 07 Dec 2007

Opps.. link problem there!

click here for a password generator!

Border View 19:10 09 Dec 2007

When you say characters does this mean numbers as well as upper and lower case letters?

irishrapter 19:58 09 Dec 2007

Yes, numbers and letters of both cases as well as symbols i.e !"£$%^&*()_+ and space.

conigio 23:06 09 Dec 2007

next silly question. how does one remember a password that is 60 characters long.?I have enough trouble remembering my pin numbers and they are just 4 characters. or am I missing something here.?
conigio

Border View 23:11 09 Dec 2007

I shall be copying my number and pasting to a word document - then printing it off and deleting the word document. Keep the bit of paper safe.

Kemistri 23:40 09 Dec 2007

"Am I missing something here?"
Yes - copy/paste. No need to print it, incidentally, if you transfer the text file to any client that needs it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017