I must have tried to install this flaming thing 50 times. I looked back on this forum and noticed a couple of post but I was wondering how other people managed to install it. There is some very technical sites to tell you how to get around the problem.... but I was wanting plain English. The Microsoft site is no better .. anyway I've tried what they suggest. Why on earth they bring out security updates with a problem like this is beyond me.
Please can anyone help ... or should I just leave the update icon where it is on the toolbar and forget about it. I have XP and use Firefox Thankyou for any advise Fay
Thanks buteman but do you mean this.... there's quite a few sites on your link
1. Remove security update 936181 by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel. 2. Delete the Msxml4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. 3. Repair the previous installation of MSXML 4.0 by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel. The earlier versions of the Msxml4.dll file and of the Msxml4r.dll file are restored to the side-by-side folder and to the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
I don't know if I dare start removing this in the registry ..... anyway I'd probably struggle finding these files. Fay
Hi.Sorry but the way I said was to stop it appearing on Microsoft Updates.And as you use Firefox it should not make any difference.But I would wait and see if anyone else can help with the download first.
Found this on another forum, it might work for you ...
"turn off auto update. uninstall kb936181 from add and remove programs. go to microsoft downloads. manually download kb936181. install. should take care of problem. any update that has that problem can usually be manually downloaded"
Or, you could just un-install it and not try to re-install again.
Hmmmm ...that sounds a bit easier Techno. I've just been on the Microsoft Update site and I've updated 936181 successfully 21 times ....so I've turned off 'auto update'....... I'll update myself everyday ..... I won't bother uninstalling and trying again .... it's a flaming nuisance but it's sorted.
Before I check 'resolved' just thought I'd let you know Techno...that I decided to do what you suggested ...... I uninstalled, turned machine off then reinstalled manually... then I turned 'auto update' back on ..... I think it's worked.