Security Conflict?

The Brown Rock 18:05 21 Dec 2009

Some few weeks ago my PC froze within days of installing new security systems. Having got manufacturer technical support, with advice to upgrade from 2 GB to 4GB Memory and upgrade from "Vista Home Premium" to "Windows 7" My computer is now running normally.
I have the following security programmes in place: AVG 8.5 Free.Spyware Doctor (Purchased) Registery Mechanic, (Purchased) Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner. I have of course Windows own security in operation. I read in this month's PC Advisor (Feb. 2009)that running more than one security systems could cause conflict and consequently cause problems - which I suspect caused the initial freezing of my computer. The question I wish to have resolved by the forum is: What should I do now; to keep my computer running at it's optimum; what should I keep and what to disgard, if anything?
The Brown Rock

User-1229748 18:11 21 Dec 2009

this thread will advise better than me click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:27 21 Dec 2009

Run Microsoft Security Essentials, Spyware Terminator (it will scan as you surf) click here and Ccleaner. Do NOT pay for any home security, it will be a waste of money. With a little common sense you will be fine with those three.

G

The Brown Rock 00:22 22 Dec 2009

My thanks for the info above, but as I already have purchased the mentioned security that is valid now for most of the next year; and rather than add to the above concoction, I'm wondering should it become necessary to shed what might conflict - where do I start? Should I give up my AVG for the purchased Spyware Doctor for example?
I added the extra security when I upgraded to broadband thinking (perhaps foolishly) that I was under greater threat.

gigagiggles 03:06 22 Dec 2009

@ The Brown Rock

The warning is not to have two protection systems actively serving the same functions.

Ccleaner is a non-active, on-demand utility.

I had used ss+d some time back as a non-active, on-demand tool. Purchased, you may as well use it as an active, thus eliminating free spyware doctor (I'm not familiar with this product).

Registry mechanic (I think) serves similar functions as ccleaner, but more aggressive and with more options. But if it offers "active" protection, then it may conflict with ss+d, depending on what will be "active".

AVG is an anti-virus software. Don't know if its active scans conflict with active anti-spyware scans.

Maybe that's why I tossed my hands up and went with a security suite. :-)

A useful, non-active, on-demand tool you should have but unmentioned is Malwarebyte's AntiMalware, mbam (free version).

The Brown Rock 19:25 22 Dec 2009

Yes! It would appear that CCleaner is not active until called upon to act and that is fine.It would appear all the others mentioned are active; my suspicions are that Windows security and Spyware Doctor might be in conflict; running along side of these are AVG and Spybot S&D. I will have to make a choice and disgard some of these - it's just which ones and how many?
Thanks for your observations and advice.
The Brown Rock

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?