The security certificate presented by this website

Furkin 11:21 29 Jun 2010

ACER T120. XPpro - IE8

A strange thing just started on my machine,,,, I went to log onto one of my bank sites,,,, and got the message "The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid - etc".
I thought it was a glitch at their end, so tried to log on to another banks site. I got the same message,,,, and again when trying to log on to a Credit Card site.

I no longer think it's a glitch at their end.

I'm about to re-boot to see if I have an insignificant (!) glitch at my end, but in the mean time was wondering if you guys know what it's about ?

cheers

Furkin 11:26 29 Jun 2010

I just saw on Google, that if the date changed on the computer would/could make this happen. I checked the date and it was 1910 instead of 2010 !

I changed it to 2010 & it 'seems' o.k now.

I've never known a machine to change dates on it's own. Any idea why that might happen ?

thanks

gengiscant 11:30 29 Jun 2010

It can somtimes indicate that the cmos battery need renewing.

Sea Urchin 11:34 29 Jun 2010

Yes, you definitely need to change the CMOS battery

click here

Furkin 11:36 29 Jun 2010

Is it likely ? The machine is about 5 years old and is on every day, almost all day.

Can this be checked ?

Sea Urchin 11:36 29 Jun 2010

CMOS battery generally lasts about 5 years

Furkin 11:57 29 Jun 2010

Sorry S.U: I replied b4 seeing yours.
I've looked at the link. I had assumed that these batteries were re chargeable (realising that they still burn out etc) - it seems that they are just coin batteries.

I keep loads of batteries,,,, but only cheap ones, so I'll get a decent one for this issue.

I've looked in the BIOS in the past but never done anything in there. It will be interesting to see what I make of it ?!?!
The link says to write down all the settings. Is that ALL the settings in BIOS ?

I'm about to re-boot & look to see what mine is.

Whilst on the subject, I had thought (just the once) about updating the BIOS. Is it comparatively easy ? What are the pitfalls for a first timer ?

folsom 12:32 29 Jun 2010

Is BIOS and CMOS the same thing then?

Sea Urchin 12:35 29 Jun 2010

No - definitions here

click here

click here

Furkin 12:41 29 Jun 2010

Re Booted & wrote down CMOS stuff.

Couldn't see the BIOS 'type' - AMI / AWARD etc on booting, so will whip the panel off & see if it says anything on the chip.

Will also see the exact CMOS battery.

Date/Time stayed correct at re-boot.

ronalddonald 12:48 29 Jun 2010

It may happen on off as the month or year goes by it would be a good idea to back all your drives onto an external drive before you proceed to change the battery and make sure our grounded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017