Security, antivirus/firewall products.

craftycraig 19:00 31 Aug 2007

Which antivirus/firewall software would you reccomend for windows vista?

Many thanks

craig

mfletch 19:12 31 Aug 2007

Hi, I would use Avast FREE for your Antivirus and I am not sure about the firewall as vista has a two way firewall and maybe OK,

Avast/ click here

Hope this helped Craig,

mfletch

skidzy 19:47 31 Aug 2007

Avg free and Vista's firewall here.Understanding Vista's firewall click here

gudgulf 20:10 31 Aug 2007

I'd just like to point out that the link that Skidzy has provided,although an excellent guide to setting up the firewall fails to point out that the Vista firewall has its outbound protection turned OFF by default.

click here

The Vista firewall is indeed a big step up from the XP one but in it's basic form....ie using the default Vista settings it only protects against inbound traffic,just like the XP firewall.

Furthermore the outbound protection is very difficult to set up.

I decided to use this instead...PC Tools free firewall click here which is Vista friendly and works in a more conventional (ie Pop-up warning) for programs wanting outbound access.

As for antivirus,I prefer Antivir click here which works well with Vista and is a very light user of resources (I use the paid for premium version).

mfletch 13:39 01 Sep 2007

Hi, gudgulf, And thank;s for the info on Vista;s Firewall I do not have vista so did not know it was set up only to detect inbound traffic as default,

Thank;s again mfletch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone