Security advice for wireless network L/top to PC

Giggle n' Bits 10:38 02 Aug 2006

ok, BT Broadband using a USB Broadband modem connected to Desktop pc. Desktop pc has Lan/Erthernet port and Laptop has wireless technology but this is redundant as not using a Wireless modem Router on Desktop PC.

Want to Erthernet cable from Laptop to Desktop PC, my question is should both the Laptop and the Desktop have a internet security package installed or would just Virus software on Desktop be enough.

FelixTCat 10:44 02 Aug 2006

Big Byte,

If all you want to do is share files between the pc and the laptop, then a package on the laptop, though desirable, is not essential.

However, if you wish to access the internet from the laptop via the pc then security is essential. You will need firewall, antivirus and anti-spyware. The pc is only acting as a conduit; it does not filter the traffic.

Regards,

Felix

Giggle n' Bits 10:57 02 Aug 2006

cos I am asking on behalf of next door neighbour.

They got one of these Netgear wireless routers so it is a wireless connection from Desktop PC to Laptop with built in Wireless.

So reading from what u say FelixTCat, with a Netgear Wireless device using wireless is this still the same ? It is not for just transfereing files its for online use also.

FelixTCat 11:34 02 Aug 2006

Hi Big Byte,

Yes, it is exactly the same. If the wireless router is connected to the internet, either with a built-in modem or via a modem, each pc can connect to the internet through the router as well as to each other pc, so full protection is required.

If there is a wireless link anywhere in the chain, it is also advisable to protect that link. There are a number of ways of doing this, including encryption, hiding the SSID and restricting the wireless adapters that can log into the router. The manual will tell you how, or come back here for more advice. If you do that, please tell us the make and model of the wireless router and the wireless cards used.

Regards,

Felix

Giggle n' Bits 12:10 02 Aug 2006

good advice, they have just gone shopping so will tell them later.

ade.h 14:31 02 Aug 2006

Which model of router are we talking about here?

Giggle n' Bits 14:39 02 Aug 2006

as I said, they have gone out shopping and whatever so. Really Felix has answered my question, yes its best it they have good security software on both machines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?