secure site padlock has a line across

anniesboy 10:33 19 Sep 2007

I have noticed that when contacting some secure sites the padlock has a line across it.
In hovering mouse pointer over it I get warning "contains unauthenticated content".
This does not happen on all sites and seems only to appear when using my normal browser Firefox,with IE7 I just get normal padlock.
I use XP SP2 with Firefox 2.0.0.7.
Are these sites still secure?

PS I have recently tweaked Firefox with Firetune

cocteau48 10:59 19 Sep 2007

anniesboy
I have noticed the same on paypal sites - it only happens occasionally and it is evident on the main page before you log on to your own account page.
Interestingly you do not have to go to IE7 - if you access the site in Firefox using the IE tab there is no red line across the padlock.

anniesboy 11:15 19 Sep 2007

cocteau48
I'm getting this when on my banks site,even when on my account page.
I do use IE tab (I have to for some secure sites as they don't support Firefox)when doing this for my bank I get no line across.
I have emailed my bank,about this ,I await their reply.

Belatucadrus 11:29 19 Sep 2007

Usually indicates that some part of the page being viewed is unsecure, probably bad web design by the site creator and nothing you can do about it. While probably OK to use, I'd be extremely wary about putting personal details on a site with such problems as no matter how well intentioned or sincere the creator, the security would appear compromised.

anniesboy 11:56 19 Sep 2007

It would appear to be tied up with Firetune ,has having gone back to original configuration pre tweak with Firetune ,padlock is as it should be.
Thanks for comments thus far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?