secure login by customers

De Marcus™ 12:13 01 Aug 2006

A close photgrapher friend of ours has asked me a question which has me stumped (not difficult ;-) He has finished his photgraphic training and began advertising in the paper, business has been good for him and he now wishes to have a website designed so his customers can have access to their photos online if they wish. He would like to issue his customers with a login name and password which is unique to them and allows only them to see the photos. At present he has his photos published online with a local photography studio acting as host and now wishes to branch out into his own space.

He has an eye for design and insists on doing it himself, despite my advice to the contrary, how would he achieve what he wants to?

I can help him with the design aspect but as far as logins and such are concerned, I'm clueless.

Any thoughts?

ewebber 12:24 01 Aug 2006

I would suggest looking into php and MySQL, this would allow you to access pages with password protection that refer to the MySQL database. What you could do is have someone design the php and MySQL side of it that could be incorporated into a design that you friend does.

Forum Editor 18:46 01 Aug 2006

of password-protecting site directories is to use a file called .htaccess

Rather than post reams of text about it, take a look at this:-

click here

De Marcus™ 10:52 02 Aug 2006

Sorry it took so long to get back, been busy.

FE, that looks like it'll fit the bill nicely, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?