Secure forwarding of Yahoo mail to Outlook

Rutlander 11:50 28 Jul 2010

I have started to forward my Yahoo emails to Outlook without any bother (I didn't set up a pop Yahoo account in Outlook as this would require Yahoo email Plus).
With my ISP accounts I can choose either to use passwords or let Outlook remember them.
This is not an option with my webmail ie without going into tools/accounts and setting up a pop account.
Are my webmails safe? If not how can I make them safer?

lotvic 15:59 28 Jul 2010

You should already have a password for your webmail.
How are you accessing it at the moment?
I have never heard of being able to set up any email account without having to set a password.

Rutlander 16:24 28 Jul 2010

I have not set up a new email account. I have merely started to forward the webmail (Yahoo) so I can read it in Outlook.
I have got a password for my webmail which I have to use to access my webmail when I am in Yahoo.
But now I have arranged the forwarding, I can read my webmail in Outlook without using a password. I wondered if there were any risks in doing so.

lotvic 17:49 28 Jul 2010

As I understand the forwarding of emails, it means that the Yahoo emails are being forwarded to another of your email addresses which you then receive via Outlook.
So the Yahoo emails are as secure as any of the other emails that the other email account is delivering to you.

or have I missed the point?

Rutlander 18:39 28 Jul 2010

lotvic,
On reflection I think you are right. I did have to give Yahoo my main Sky email address to set up the forwarding so I suppose that is how they do it. I only use Sky for people I know. I use webmail for everybody else so if it now goes through Sky I shall have to start using a password for Sky to make the forwarding more secure.
Thanks.

lotvic 19:38 28 Jul 2010

You will already have a password for your Sky email.
Don't you remember having to type it in Outlook when you set up Account for Outlook to collect Sky email?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?