Secure deletion of files.CCleaner.

john bunyan 22:27 06 Jul 2010

I have once used CCleaner to "Wipe free space" in the advanced option. It took quite a long time. I have noticed, in the "Options", "Settings" you can set a secure deletion for 1 pass, 3 passes, 7 passes or even "Gutman" at 35 passes. This seems a very good free facilty if needed, but is it too long winded and do other programmes work better?
This may be worht a thought ig you were selling or giving the PC to someone else, or would the data still be recoverable? eg Emptied recycle bin after deeting data files.

Sea Urchin 22:34 06 Jul 2010
  john bunyan 22:44 06 Jul 2010

Thanks, I know it looks like a double thread, but this question is a bit more in that I hoped others would comment on the efficacy of CCleaned in this role vs other secure delete programmes.

sunnystaines 08:21 07 Jul 2010

I have my ccleaner set at Gutman" at 35 passes this saves me having to move files to eraser for safe deleting.

interzone55 08:31 07 Jul 2010

If you have top secret classified files on your PC then Gutmann is probably the best way to permanently delete the files without destroying the drive.

For normal mortals then anything more than 3 times overwrite with random data is just a waste of time.

john bunyan 08:41 07 Jul 2010

Thanks for replies. I note them for future reference. CCleaner seems better than ever.

sunnystaines 09:58 07 Jul 2010

I use the pc for managing finance the more secure the better. even for deleted files.

interzone55 12:11 07 Jul 2010

so do I, a firewall an single pass deletion is fine.

All my financial records are held in a Truecrypt partition. This partition is encrypted with 256 bit AES-Twofish-Serpent using a 12 digit seemingly password.

interzone55 12:12 07 Jul 2010

insert the word "random" in the last line...

andrew.z 22:27 22 Oct 2010

This topic is riddled with myths, urban legends, and misinformation. The authors of CCleaner either don't know what they are doing or intentionally perpetuate these bad ideas for marketing purposes. The article <a href="click here">"Shred files and wipe disks"</a> should set the story straight. If you are giving a PC to someone else, it may be possible to recover useful information if you simply delete files, empty the recycle bin, and wipe the free space because some information will be slack space (very small, not usually significant), swap memory, hibernation file, Windows registry, and application (e.g., Firefox) registries. Also, multiple passes are completely useless and redundant.

john bunyan 12:23 23 Oct 2010

Is this spam on a relatively older thread?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone