Secure delete

1Ssam 20:10 25 Mar 2010

I am downsizing to a laptop. My present PC is not very old and I promised it to a charity when I have transferred my files etc.. I was thinking of deleting my personal data including financial information etc before passing it on but a friend has said that any information I delete using microsoft tools can be recovered quite easily. I would not like to think that my personal data would be accessable to anybody once I have lost control of my PC. Is there any way of deleting data so that I can be sure it is really deleted.

Any help would be appreciated.

1Ssam

johnnyrocker 20:15 25 Mar 2010

how about fitting a new reasonably priced hard drive?

johnny

VCR97 20:18 25 Mar 2010

If you search on Google for secure delete you'll find lots of free and paid-for software.

DieSse 20:29 25 Mar 2010

If you have Vista or Win7 the format command will overwrite all your data with zeroes. click here

Of course you will need to recover the system to re-install all the originally supplied OS and software - but this will also help by overwriting some of the hard drive for a second time.

It's always better to wipe the whole drive and re-install the supplied software, as data can lurk in many non-obvious places.

This is an interesting read click here On laptop drives in particular, a simple command can be issued by the right software which changes the in-built encryption, such that no data will be accessible again. The beauty of this method is that it's very fast compared with normal brute force methods, especially on large capacity drives.

1Ssam 20:59 25 Mar 2010

Thank you all for your prompt replies.
I should have mentioned that I am on XP and that is one of the reasons I am changing computers. I am sure I shall now be able to have some confidence in passing on my old computer.
Thanks again.

1Ssam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?