Secunia

oldharry 10:11 17 Nov 2008

I have just updated to Secunia PSI(RC4) I am using Windows XP with SP3.
A Secunia sweep listed Java JRE 1,5x/5.x as being insecure TWICE. I have upgraded to JAVA 6 Update 10 and removed one JRE 1.5 using add/remove programme. Secunia is still showing one copy of Java 1.5x present in its current sweep but there does not seem to be any trace of this remaining Java 1.5x on my add/remove programme. Help please

MAJ 10:20 17 Nov 2008

It's probably detecting it in a System Restore point. To get rid of that you'll have to turn off System Restore and restart it.

To be sure, where's does it say the instance of Java 1.5x is located.

oldharry 11:16 17 Nov 2008

Sorry this soluttion doesn't seem to work. No info on Secunia as to where the problem is

MAJ 12:29 17 Nov 2008

It'll probably be in that restore point or possibly in a cache file, prefetch file or temp file. Download CCleaner (it's free) click here install it and open it. Make sure, On the "Windows" tab the "Temporary Files" and "Old Prefetch Data" options are ticked and on the "Applications" tab, the "Sun Java" option is ticked. Run the Cleaner to delete what it finds, close CCleaner and reboot your PC. Now do the scan again and see if the report occurs. Watch the scan, see if you can spot where the Secunia is detecting Java 1.5x

Snec 13:11 17 Nov 2008

Did you use JavaRa to remove the old Java?

click here

oldharry 17:32 17 Nov 2008

Thanks MAJ problem solved. Snec - I have noted JavaRa for possible future use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone