Section breaks and numbering in Word 2004

harris99 15:58 28 Jul 2009

I have to produce a 4 page document with a 2 inch margin at the top of the first page and a 1 inch top margin on the rest. I also want to leave the first page unnumbered and the rest numbered 2,3 and 4. I achieve the margins I want by using a Section Break after the first page, but the numbering I need seems to be removed by the Section break. I can, however, number the pages as 1,2 3 and 4. Very frustrating! I do take out the tick box "Show number on first page" but that doesn't help.

harris99 16:40 28 Jul 2009

Further to my own post, I have just thought of the answer. Do Page 1 as a document, do the necessary page setup and save it. Open a new document, do the particular page setup and numbering for the pages 2,3 and 4 and save it. Job done! Sorry to have bothered anyone

Sea Urchin 16:56 28 Jul 2009

As well as not ticking "Show Number on First Page" on your page numbers box click Format... and then click on Start at 1.

Sea Urchin 17:16 28 Jul 2009

You can also set the margins on the pages separately for page 1. In Word go to Page Set Up and select the 2 inch margin on page 1 - under Preview select "This Point Forward" and OK. Then space down to page 2 and repeat the process with a 1 inch margin. That will then apply to the remainder of the document.

harris99 17:40 28 Jul 2009

Thank you, Sea Urchin - very clever. Would never have found that in a month of Sundays!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?