Secondary IDE channel 80 conductor cable

jgshisan1 10:55 04 Mar 2003

VIA K7 AMD athlon motherboard. I had to fit a new power supply last week and now I get error message on start up saying secondary IDE channel 80-conductor cable is not connected. I have tested the connections about 6 times. When I change the primary and secondary cable on the motherboard I get the error message for the primary channel. Is it now a motherboard problem? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

€dstow 10:57 04 Mar 2003

Have you got the cable the wrong way round? Blue connector to the motherboard.

If it's in reverse, it's only seen as a 40 conductor.

€d

MAJ 10:59 04 Mar 2003

It could be the Cable, have you tried a different one?

billyliv 10:59 04 Mar 2003

Hi, Not so much a Motherboard prob. More likely a faulty cable. cheers, Bill

jgshisan1 11:04 04 Mar 2003

Thanks, There are no coloured connections. they are all grey. I did wonder if the cable could be at fault but I wasn't sure they could just "go". and I didn't want to waste more money. I will try another cable and let you know. thanks

€dstow 11:37 04 Mar 2003

Odd not to have any colour coding on the IDE cable. Is there any other indicator that tells you which end goes where because it is important that the motherboard end does actually go to the motherboard.

€d

MAJ 11:47 04 Mar 2003

Mine are all black, €dstow, but mine are only 40-strand.

PS. Good to see you got your € back, ?dstow, just wasn't the same somehow. :-)

jgshisan1 11:53 04 Mar 2003

no indicators €dstow. I hadn't disconnected the main cable originally. only disconnected my 2 cd rom drives. but the longest section is connected to the motherboard and the 2 close together connections are in the cd drives. I thought maybe I had bent a pin when reconnecting but they all look ok. thanks again

€dstow 11:59 04 Mar 2003

Thinking then, like the others, that the cable has been damaged in some way, perhaps when you unplugged it. They aren't very strong and meant really for a once only operation.

€d with the €

1832bchs 20:35 04 Mar 2003

I too get the same message, it started after I installed a new DVD-ROM drive.
The head of IT where I work says it is not an error message, just giving information.Apparently the new drive is capable of working with an 80pin cable, but will not suffer any harmfull effects if one is not installed. That was months ago and all is still well!!

jgshisan1 09:13 05 Mar 2003

1832bchs. Thanks for the info. Yes my drives still work although I was getting intermittent blue screens. Didn't know if the problems were connected. However, being the perfectionist I am I don't like getting what I call "error" messages while booting. I have ordered a new cable. Will let you know how it goes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?