Secondary drive not recognised

Davejack 14:17 30 Nov 2009

I am running windows 7. 32 bit on a clean install. I have 2 x 450GB drives and 2 dvd drives. Install went ok and everything worked fine. I now have the problem that my secondary hard drive AND my secondary dvd drive are not recognised in explorer, disc management or in the bios. Hard drive is sata and dvd is IDE. I have of course checked all the connections. And they did work fine until a few days ago. Any help please.

gengiscant 14:57 30 Nov 2009

@

Davejack 19:59 30 Nov 2009

Gengistant: did not get your reply.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:40 30 Nov 2009

1. Navigate to Tools > Folder options > View.

2. Scroll down the options to see “Hide empty drives in the computer folder”.

3. Uncheck the box to display all empty drives in explorer. Click Apply button to save the changes.

Davejack 21:28 30 Nov 2009

Thanks for reply Fruit Bat , but I have already done that. Drives are not even recognised in the bios, or disc management. Cant understand it as I have already backed up lots of files onto the secondary drive. Files like pictures and videos etc. I have even put a different supply to the drives, which I know are live. On the DVD drive, that is not now recognised, the drawer doesn't even open. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:02 30 Nov 2009

Think you may need to check there is power to the drives and the cables are coupled correctly.

Also look in BIOS for options to Enable secondary IDe and Enable SATA ports.

woodchip 23:17 30 Nov 2009

If both DVD's are on the same cable one wants jumper setting to Master other set to Slave

gengiscant 09:28 01 Dec 2009

Sorry about that,I haven't really got an answer, I have or had the same problem.
I have just finished a new build with my first sata hdd and I also could not see the ide drives. I think it is a bios thing and hopefully I can post an answer to the problem later, as a more knowledgeable friend is currently tweaking my new build and will ask him when he returns my new PC later today.

GBL 11:02 01 Dec 2009

Don't know if this helps but I have had a similar probelem on my older system what I found out that it was the cable so I sprayed WD40 on the conectors and now it seems to be OK.

Davejack 10:45 02 Dec 2009

Thanks for all your help. Had time last night to delve into the computer. I think it was a faulty power cable from the PSU. Put a new one in and everything seems to be working fine now.Both drives were on the same cable so your idea Fruit Bat led me in the right direction. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?