Second wireless network name has appeared

Fishbox 21:24 27 Nov 2008

I have a desktop PC connected to a modem-router with a cable.I also use a laptop with a wireless connection.The set up has been running well.
My SSID is e.g. abc123 but recently a second one, abc123 2 is showing on the list of available connections.I don't know how this has happened and what,if anything,I should do about it.Any ideas,please?

ambra4 21:42 27 Nov 2008

You do not need IPv6 at the present time disable IPv6 in all computers using Vista

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

Fishbox 12:07 28 Nov 2008

Thanks ambra4.
I tried this on my laptop (Vista Basic) but still get the two connections showing on the list of available networks.
Currently connectivity is OK but have had a few problems recently.

dawood 15:24 28 Nov 2008

Just go to modem-router's management page to confirm your correct SSID and you can just connect to the correct SSID from your computer.

Also you can try to download latest wireless adapter driver from manufacturer website, uninstall the old driver and install the new driver (do this if you really concern about this issue, if no harm can just ignore it), also update Vista with latest updates, after that test again. Sometimes the problem can also due to wireless adapter or maybe Vista.

dawood
Home Network and Wireless Network Help click here

Fishbox 16:09 28 Nov 2008

Thanks dawood.
I'm interested in how this situation came about,altho' I probably wouldn't be able to follow a technical explanation!
I've found how to delete the second connection but not sure if it wiil cause a problem.Might leave it for the time being,since at present connecting to the internet is OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?