Second opinion on AVAST setup please.

kev-a 21:16 01 Feb 2007

Hi,
Have removed Norton 2006 which has just expired and went for the AVAST home edition after reading a few threads on here.

Just a couple of points i need clearing up :))

It installed very quick compared to Norton, Is this normal?

All i have is one spinning blue globe in the Task bar Correct ??

It tells me i have no VRDB yet, How do i set this up ???

Because it's less intrusive than Norton i am thinking i have missed something from the install....Just want to avoid any nasties though not setting up properly.

I have set screensaver to Avast..Tip from here :)

Thanks

bluto1 21:29 01 Feb 2007

I`ve used Avast for a couple of years and have no complaints with it. The main thing I like about it is it`s automatic updates.
Yes to the Globe in the taskbar. I cannot compare with Norton as I`ve never used it.
It`s regarded as one of the best freebies here.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:35 01 Feb 2007

How to use setup and Avast click here

TreeBear 21:35 01 Feb 2007

Spinning globe is normal (has an 'a' in it?) and indicates that he program is running. Hold the mouse over the globe and you should get an info window telling you how many resident scanners (or 'providers') are running (mine is normally 6 of 7).

I also have a second blue globe with an 'i' in it. This indicates that the VRDB creation tool is active. Only I don't know how to turn that on if the globe is not already showing ..... maybe someone else can help on that one?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 01 Feb 2007

Virus Recovery Database (VRDB)

Avast offers you the possibility to recover infected system files, by placing back a copy of the original. If you are not using a system image (more information about a free system image disk), it's wise to use this option. To create the Virus Recovery Database (VRDB), right click the i-icon in the system tray and choose Generate VRDB Now!

If you are using a system image, this option is useless. To disable this option, right click the i-icon in the system tray and choose Disable VRDB generation.

If you are finished using VRDB, I prefer merge the icon with the main Avast icon. Right click the i-icon in the system tray and choose Merge with main avast! icon.

kev-a 21:55 01 Feb 2007

Cheers people that sorted my wories :))))

dazza39 15:55 02 Feb 2007

A very good Program I use Avast as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?