Second monitor

exdragon 09:22 11 May 2007

I'm thinking about getting a second small monitor so I can use it to put my photo editing tools on, thus having more space on the other monitor for my images.

My graphics card supports two (GeForce 6600) and has what Maplins told me is a DVI socket. Do I just get a monitor, DVI cable, plug it in and it will work or does it need something else?

Do I just then drag what I want to move from one screen to the other, and does the main menu bar in Photoshop, for example, (the file/edit one etc) stay where it is or can I move it too?

Or does someone know of an idiot's guide?

ArrGee 09:30 11 May 2007

Well, the simple answer all round is yes, just plug it in and change display settings to recognise the second display so you can drag between monitors.

exdragon 09:35 11 May 2007

Thanks - just what I wanted to hear!

ArrGee 09:48 11 May 2007

Just on a personal note, I did the same and bought a second small monitor a couple of years ago, but after a while regretted not buying one of a similar size to the main monitor.

It's much easier to control dragging between monitors if they are both the same size.

exdragon 16:32 11 May 2007

Good point, thanks! I'm really after getting a 23 inch one when my current one gives up and don't think I could justify 2...or could I??

ArrGee 18:13 11 May 2007

The cheapest 23 inch I can find at PC World is 315 pounds, where as the cheapest 19 inch is 110.

Obviously, this answer depends on what kind of usage requirements you have, however, I would definately go for the two 19 inch screens instead of a single 23 inch.

Once you start using two screens at the same time, you'll not want to go back to a single screen.

My set-up is a 19 inch Video 7 TFT monitor, and an LG 20 inch TV/Monitor (Flatron M203WA HD LCD).

I use the TV/Monitor as my main display for magazine page layout work using Adobe InDesign, with menu options in the 19 inch to my right.

Total cost of both screens came to around 480 pounds. (Sorry, no pound sign on this keyboard, only Dollars or Yen!)

exdragon 20:56 11 May 2007

Hmmm, I'll have a think about it - at least I know it should be straightforward!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?