second internal harddrive

iqs 17:54 01 Aug 2007

Hello.I would like to install a second harddrive,for backing up my PC's mirror image with Acronis.At a later date the new harddrive will be used for VISTA.

I have a Evesham Pc with the following mother board, Foxcon 946GZ7MA 946PL7MA.And a 320GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive with 8mb Buffer.

I'm not sure what harddrive I should be looking for,also the correct installation procedure.Can anyone please offer assistance.Thanks and take care :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 01 Aug 2007

What size drive would you like and what do you want to pay?

Get a WD or seagate sata2 drive
click here

woodchip 18:19 01 Aug 2007

Seagate as the best returns warranty, if you have problems with the drive. Manufacturer Warranty
- 5 years warranty click here

woodchip 18:20 01 Aug 2007

You need a IDE socket to connect to for the above

iqs 19:08 01 Aug 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\ and woodchip.
I was looking at the Seagate range.The size of the hardrive is not that important,around the same size has my current drive would do the job.
Thanks

iqs 19:09 01 Aug 2007

thanks for the links

iqs 20:35 02 Aug 2007

Sorry,I have two more questions please.

1,Will my OS load correctly when the second drive is installed.
2,I was informed that for the drive to be recognised by the BIOS,I might have to 'flash the BIOS....What does this mean.

Thank you

dan* 22:05 02 Aug 2007

1) yes.

2) No. With current size of hard drive you use there would be no need to flash the bios. Bios's are only flashed when the computer has problems. Flashing a bios can be risky, there is always a small chance that you could kill the motherboard.

iqs 18:40 03 Aug 2007

dan* for your help.......Last question and I will close this thread.My motherboard states its Sata2.Can I connect a normal Sate drive?,or must it be Sata2.I read somewhere you can adjust for Sata1 and 2 by moving the jumper?.Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 03 Aug 2007

If you fit a SATA 1 to a SATA 2 board it will run at the slower rate of SATA 1.

If you try and fit a SATA 2 to a SATA1 board hen it will only work if the SATA 2 drive has a jumper to limit it to SATA 1 speed.

iqs 19:34 03 Aug 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\.I was just about to order a Seagate or WD harddrive from Amazon,but was alarmed to find that the cables and set up disc are not included.Is this correct with all makes.Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?