Second HD - How do I use it?

joesoaps 21:57 20 Jan 2005

I got a second hard drive as a Christmas pressy ( Lacie 80gb USB 2 ) which I have instaled and seems ok. It was my intention to load my games onto it, so I did not have to keep uninstalling them to free up drive space on the primary drive.

Trouble is I don't have a clue as to how I load things onto the 2nd drive. What do I do.

Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 22:06 20 Jan 2005

When installing a program, windows asks you where - simply create a folder on the external disk and point the install routine there.

joesoaps 23:18 20 Jan 2005

^ bump ^

Nellie2 23:36 20 Jan 2005

When you are installing a program or game then windows will automatically ask you if you want to put it in the C:\program files folder. But instead of clicking on next, click on the browse button and browse to the place that you want to install it, which will be what ever the drive letter of your new drive is

sattman 23:41 20 Jan 2005

Also you might consider using a drive image programme to back up your C drive onto your second drive.

Hairy Yeti 23:48 20 Jan 2005

As Diodorus says but in different words.
When you install a program windows will present you with the default (info it gets from the software you are installing) installation destination.

e.g. C:\Program Files\Adobe

The easist/quickist way to install to your new HDD is to change the drive letter to the letter that refers to your new drive (probally D:).

Depending on your O/S and what you are installing you may need to

1 select 'custom'

2 confirm you wish to create a new directory/folder.

joesoaps 15:56 21 Jan 2005

^ bump ^

Nellie2 15:57 21 Jan 2005

could you let us know what other information you need? What bit aren't you sure of?

joesoaps 17:58 21 Jan 2005

Thanks for your replies.

Think I understand now as I have been practising this afternoon.Once again I am overwhelmed by the knowledge on these foroms.

joesoaps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?