Second hard not visible

llollipoppi 11:57 15 Feb 2008

Hi, I aoplogise if this has laready been posted, had a look and couldnt find it.

I have just installed a 160gb hitachi deskstar as a second hard drive, its the first time I have ever done this although I have cloned and replaced a hard drive before.

My master is my maxtor 80gb. I changed the jumper settings and both drives are recognised in the bios with maxtor as primary and hitachi as slave (I am assuming this wouldnt be the case if the jumper settings were wrong?)

When loading into xp it recognised that a ned hard drive had been installed but I can't find it in my computer.

I went to disk managament and it is there as "disk 1" unallocated. I iniatalised the drive but I'm now stuck as of what to do next.

Can someone advise please?

They are both ide drives.

Many thanks laurie:)

crosstrainer 12:10 15 Feb 2008

Needs to be formatted. Disk management, higlight the disk choose format.

Jak_1 12:11 15 Feb 2008

My guess is that if it's a new drive then it needs to be formatted via disk management.

llollipoppi 12:18 15 Feb 2008

when I click on the unallocated part it only allows me to create a partition doesnt gic me the option to format?

llollipoppi 12:19 15 Feb 2008

It also says that it is a basic disk?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:34 15 Feb 2008

create the partition (full size of disk) and the format the partition.

llollipoppi 12:39 15 Feb 2008

Exucse my ignorance!

I was getting confused because in the c:? drive it gave me the option to format but didnt in disk 1. However it Went ahead with the partition and the drive has now been assigned a letter and is in the process of being formatted just now!!

Thanks everyone!

llollipoppi 12:39 15 Feb 2008

oops was writing that post as u posted fruitbat:)

Thanks again guys:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?