..::Second hard drive not recognised::..

The_$@!nt 21:27 26 Jul 2004

I just put a second hard drive in my system becuase I was seriously low in space. Jumpers are correct, power is ok and it recognised it in POST. Should it appear in My Computer now so I can format it?? Because I cant see a new hard drive in My Computer.

I'm a bit confused.

flyingpeterpan 22:44 26 Jul 2004

If you are running XP, in your start menu,right click My Computer,choose manage,and then click Disk Management in the lefthand side panel,all the details of your drives will be showing on the righthand side panel,right click on the (I should think drive E or F) depending on how many secondary IDE you have and choose FORMAT, afterwards you'll be asked to reboot,you will see your new drive in My Computer by now.

Djohn 23:30 26 Jul 2004

There won't be a letter showing as it has not yet been recognised and assigned a letter. Your primary disk will show as drive (0) your new disk will show as drive (1). It will be drive (1) that you partition either as a whole or in separate sections. It will now show in my Computer and can be formatted from there or from disk management. If from disk management you will be able to give it any letter you wish except of course C.

flyingpeterpan 23:59 26 Jul 2004

Thanks for the supplement,DJ! Forgot some of the details already.:o)

Djohn 00:25 27 Jul 2004

I forget them all the time and have to check from another thread or from my own jottings. :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?