second hard drive

great dog 12:10 03 Jan 2007

I want to install a second hard drive in my dell dimension as the one fitted is only 40gb.I have looked inside it has a bay and connections,are there any do`s and dont`s.

wee eddie 13:22 03 Jan 2007

What is your OS? Unless it is XP, there may be size recognition problems.

Would an External Drive make more sense? It will follow you to your next PC with no need to open the case.

mymate 13:26 03 Jan 2007

I just bought a Seagate external hard disc. 320 Gb Just plugs into the usb.

terryf 13:28 03 Jan 2007

I suggest that you Google for 'How to fit a second hard drive', you will get lots of hits, some with pictures and these will give you more than enough advice

SLAYER 18:18 03 Jan 2007
  Strawballs 20:41 03 Jan 2007
  keef66 14:16 05 Jan 2007

If it's just extra storage space you need, get a USB external drive. They are only slightly more expensive than internal drives, and can be stored separately from the pc when not in use. Any backups made to it would still be secure if the pc was affected by lightning strike, power surge etc.

If on the other hand you need more room for programme files etc, fit an internal one. It's so easy even I managed it.
Most HDD manufacturers have software and tutorials which allow you to clone the old drive onto the new one so you end up with just one, much bigger HDD. Alternatively you could simply fit the new disk as a slave and keep the original as it is.

moodboom 20:26 06 Jan 2007

I agree with keef66 on both points. Fitting a bigger primary HDD (and poss faster) would be a great idea and then you could still fit your original as slave (you know it's compatible) for backup purposes (shall we sing Blondie's Acronis together?)

On the external front, the Lacie unit I have is fantastic for holding all my data, and I can take it anywhere and plug it into other machines (at work for eg). It is however rather louder in its whirring than my silent laptop is. It sits under my desk but I can still hear it. Not a terrible thing but noticeable and I switch it off when watching dvds.

Just some extra points to consider.

Enjoy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?