Second hard drive...?

toadoftoadhall 12:07 30 Mar 2004

I have an old Gateway full tower PIII 500 desktop PC running Win98 SE. It has a 20Gb hard drive which is almost full now so I'm looking to get either a bigger Hard disk (say 60Gb or so) or a second hard drive to go in my machine.
I have two questions;

1. Will a second hard disk simply slot into my machine just like a CD-ROM drive, or do I need to replace the existing one?

2. If I get a second hard disk, do I need to install windows on it too, or can it just be used for storage?

I'm happy with Win98 as it does everything I want it to, so dont have plans to change anything else - and besides that I'm totally skint!

Thanks

tenplus1 12:13 30 Mar 2004

A 2nd hard-drive will simply connect to any spare IDE slots you have available...

Your motherboard should come with 2 IDE slots, each one can handle 2 devices, so if you only have 1 HD and 1 CD already using slot 0, then all you need is a cable for slot 1 and you can connect a NEW HD without any problems...

Use FDisk to partition your new HD and format it and you can use it as a storage device... no need for a new windows install...

xania 12:15 30 Mar 2004

You should find that your ribbon connector to your existing HDD has a spare connector - you can use this to connect you new drive, but you must first set the jumpers on the back to show this as a slave. Also, on some HDD you have to reset the jumper on the it to show master with slave present - so check. Manmy newer drives actually print the jumper settings on the drive itself. However, if you are unsure, let me know the model of the existing drive and I'll check for you.

You don't need the OS on the second drive, but you may find that having the newer drive as master and the old as slave will provide better performance. Also, you may improve performance by having your OS and your main program and data files on different drives.

toadoftoadhall 12:50 30 Mar 2004

Thanks guys - I would never have thought of making the new one the master. I imagine that new drives are a lot faster so that would make sense.

You say there is no need to have the OS on both drives - would that not be a good idea in case my old HD packs up (which it's bound to do soon...)?
Would having the OS on both disks mess things up?

And what info from the current drive/my computer do I need to make sure I'm buying the right one for my motherboard?

One other thing - I have my kids older Celeron 350Mhz computer networked to mine via a network cable and crossover lead. Will I need to re-network both machines or just mine?

Sorry for the dumb questions but it's all Double Dutch to me! (No offence to Dutch people intended...even double ones...)

Ta

xania 16:48 30 Mar 2004

There's no such thing as a dumb question!!

You can have as many copies of your OS as you like, but your system will only see the partition you mark as current. Working with 98SE, I often find that my current partition becomes damaged, so I simply delete it, copy across a know good copy form another partition and of I go.

You hard drive structure and contents is not visible or relevant to your mobo, OS or network. However, some systems will have trouble coping with particularly large HDDs so you may need special software, which should come with the HDD, to overcome this problem.

toadoftoadhall 22:27 31 Mar 2004

will follow that advice.
Thanks.

woodchip 22:32 31 Mar 2004

You do not need to use FDISK just go into Explorer and right click the drive and choose format. But to install there may be another plug on the Hard Drive Ribbone cable that you can use. You will also have to set the Drive jumper on the back of the drive to Slave, and go into BIOS and Auto Detect the drive save settings and exit BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017