second drive prob

blake66 11:53 08 Jun 2007

I recently added a second drive but when I use it, only the 'Windows' folder is available. There is no 'Program Files' folder? Any suggestions please.

Thanks

Totally-braindead 12:25 08 Jun 2007

Not quite sure exactly what you mean here.
Windows is installed on the main drive C as is program files so why would program files appear on your second drive?
Perhaps I don't understand exactly what you mean?

blake66 12:35 08 Jun 2007

Thanks mate, perhaps I'm naive but lets say I lost 'C' drive, how would I get into 'Program Files' assuming they would be 'lost' with the C drive?

Batch 12:43 08 Jun 2007

If you simply added a 2nd disk, but couldn't then access the original disk, you wouldn't then be able to boot the PC.

Could you explain more clearly / completely?

blake66 22:10 08 Jun 2007

I simply added a second drive and expected it to have the same folders as the master drive is all really. They obviously work off the same OS (WXp) and just thought it odd that the Prog Files weren't on D the same as C. I just found it odd that if D has it's own Windows folder why doesn't it have it's own Prog folder? I am obviously wrong in that assumption, just never used two drives before. Thanks for pointing out my wrong judgment anyway.

Batch 08:37 09 Jun 2007

If you add another drive, by default it will be empty (apart from a hidden folder "System Volume Information"). It will only get anything else on it if YOU put it there.

The one exception to the above may be with certain forms of RAID (see click here and click here). With disk mirroring (RAID Level 1), the 1st disk should be mirrored on the 2nd one.

blake66 11:57 09 Jun 2007

Ok Batch, got that, thanks a lot mate. Things are more clear now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?