Searching for Outlook on an External Hard Drive

KateThomas 18:40 26 Apr 2014

Can anyone tell me how I find Outlook files on an external hard drive? I am accessing the hard drive of an old Windows 7 all-in-one PC via a new Windows 8.1 all-in-one PC and I am trying to find a specific email attachment received about 4 months ago but without success. I have searched program files and documents and also done a generic search of the whole hard drive, but nothing comes up. The Outlook program is on the external hard drive, but as far as I can see, none of the emails.

Ian in Northampton 19:16 26 Apr 2014

What happens when you open Outlook itself? Is it not associated with .pst file somewhere? If you install Outlook on a C: drive, the default location for your .pst files is C:\Documents and Settings\user_id\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. But note: I think I'm right in saying that, if the email was originally sent by, or received by, Outlook, you'll never find it as a separate entity - the only way to get to it is to open Outlook and associate it (if it's not associate already) with the .pst file where you think the email is. The .pst file is typically just one very large file that only Outlook can make sense of.

Ian in Northampton 19:18 26 Apr 2014

Sorry, in case I wasn't clear: Outlook emails, whether sent or received, don't exist as separate files - Outlook puts them all into a single .pst file and only Outlook can then extract individual emails from the .pst file.

BRYNIT 20:24 26 Apr 2014

Are you talking about Microsoft outlook from Microsoft office or Outlook that used to be Hotmail?

If its Microsoft Outlook 2007/10 you should find it on the old drive under user\user_id\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook, remember this folder will be hidden so you will need to select show hidden files and folders.

Once you have made the file visible open Microsoft outlook select tools\account settings\Data file\Add\Office outlook personal folders file (.pst) this will allow you to add the old Outlook as a second account where you should be able to search through emails etc and copy the files required. When finished delete the .pst file from Outlooks tools\account settings\Data file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires