searchfilterhost.exe

manrow 06:34 17 Jan 2009

Since I turned on my computer 20 minutes ago, I have had the drive busy light on intermittently and task manager shows there are 3 files running all starting with the word search, but the main one is searchfilterhost.exe.

I run XP, but on googling it seems this problem occurs more often with Vista. Some suggest that this could be a cover-up for a virus, and others explain how to disable this function which is part of the Microsoft operating system.

Before I do anything I thought I would enquire if anyone else has experienced this problem, and what action has successfully cured it? Up to some 20 to 30% of cpu operating is down to this search function.

birdface 07:32 17 Jan 2009

From another thread.click here

manrow 08:31 17 Jan 2009

Thanks Buteman, I am about to set a new Restore point as recommended before I try the solution outlined.

birdface 08:39 17 Jan 2009

I hope it works for you.There are not many solutions out there for XP. I wonder if it is that new search program that is causing the problem.It was included in one of Microsoft updates last year.I was not that keen on it and removed it.

manrow 09:14 22 Jan 2009

I noticed that my other 2 computers were not acting the way my laptop was so held off deleting the supposed cause.

Now after start-up searchfilterhost.exe is the second item on the Task Manager list for all of my computers but only using about 1% of cpu time. No longer considered a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?