Search Window keeps appearing

ventanas 16:21 01 Apr 2008

and won't go away, no matter how many times I close it, it keeps coming back. I have discovered that if I press any of the media keys on my wireless keyboard it cures it, until the next reboot.

Could there be a fault with the keyboard that is causing it to send out an erroneous signal to the system, resulting in this nuisance? If so it's strange that a media key cures it. Grateful for any ideas.

Using Vista Home Premium.

rawprawn 17:46 01 Apr 2008

Hi John
Have you tried stopping the search service then rebooting starting it again. I don't know this is a cure but it is a thought

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 01 Apr 2008

According to Microsoft, this behavior can occur when you open the Edit File Type dialog box for the Drive or File Folder registered file types.

Open a command prompt and typing the following:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

press enter, close command prompt.

or

Microsoft acknowledges that this is a problem in Knowledge Base article #321379 and offers the following fix:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry if this problem occurs with folders:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
If this problem occurs with drives:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
3. Click Modify on the Edit menu.
4. Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.

ventanas 21:41 01 Apr 2008

Thanks for the replies, but I'm now certain it's the keyboard. When it played up tonight I tried the shortcut key (F2) for Excel, and Outlook opened - five times, although Word was fine. Pressed a media key, tried again and up came Excel, and it's been fine since.
Will replace it tomorrow- another 50 quid.

ventanas 21:09 04 Apr 2008

OK, sorted it now. There was also another problem which I didn't relate to this one. At the start of booting I got a brief message about some media failure, then something about the Broadcom 10/100 and then the boot menu, for one OS. Pressing Return took me into Vista. I have got rid of the Logitech LX710 and replace it the MX5000. All problems gone.Some keyboard/mouse as well, even got a little display with my name on it (in case I forget) And I can Bluetooth from my mobile

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone