Search and System Restore

Astrid 19:23 08 May 2009

I run Windows XP SP3 and have been having System Restore and Search problems, i.e. I'm unable to access either of these. It began today when I found problems with connecting and that I could only get online if I did a system restore, which I did and it was successful. Now I can get online ok, but I'm unable to access either System Restore or Search and when I try the Windows Update web site it comes up a blank. I've more than enough space on my hard disk and sufficient memory. I've checked my registry with CCleaner and there are still a few problems that don't get fixed. I've scheduled for my computer to go in for a clean install but meanwhile am still wondering if there's anything I can try myself?

woodchip 19:26 08 May 2009

Go to run, type

SFC /SCANNOW then press enter

john bunyan 19:28 08 May 2009

Run Superantispyware and Malawarebites in safe mode to check your disc for trojans etc.If you dont have them you can download free versions. Also do a scan with your anti virus software.

woodchip 19:35 08 May 2009

I think CCleaner as made these as they do no show, I do not use it as t removed things on mine in the past. I now use and have used for some time Cleanup on default settings

click here

Astrid 16:14 09 May 2009

Thanks for previous advice. I've tried all things so far but not much progress except I can now access Search in Safe Mode. However, I've now no way of accessing System Restore or Help and Support, both are blank. I can do most other things as usual: get online, run anti-virus and all other programs. So now I have four options:

1) Forget about System Restore as I've good backup with Acronis on D:\, and carry on regardless without Help and Support.
2) Continue to try to fix the System Restore and Help and Support by asking around...
3) Send in to have a clean install done at a reasonable cost.
4) Ask a technician whether he can restore the lost programs without doing a clean install - shouldn't this be possible?

brundle 16:26 09 May 2009

See #235 here; click here

Ensure the Help and Support and "System Restore" services are actually running - start menu/run, type

services.msc

press return.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 09 May 2009

Start>> Run. Type in:

regsvr32 /i %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.d­ll
[Enter] or Click OK

-OR-

regsvr32 jscript.dll
[Enter] or Click OK

If the above did not return Search functionality, then try the following.

Method 2: (Have your Windows XP CD Available)

1. Logon as Administrator.

2. Go to Start>> Run. Type in:
%systemroot%\inf
[Enter] or Click OK.

3. Locate the Srchasst.inf file by going to; Start>> Control Panel>> C:/>> Windows>> INF Folder>> srchasst file.

4. Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install. This reinstalls the Search Companion files.

Note: When you're prompted for the system files, insert your Windows XP CD.

Astrid 18:35 09 May 2009

Thank you for suggestions. The first thing I've tried: services.msg produced the following message:

! Internet Explorer Script Error: An error has occurred on this script page.

When I tried to close, everything had frozen and there were multiple copies of the message, one on top of another, so I had no choice but to press the restart button.

I'll try the other suggestions, but it's getting a bit weird now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?