Search Loop in Internet Explorer

Martlet 21:00 30 Nov 2003

Using WinXP with SP1, I am having trouble using Internet Explorer since, I believe, looking at a Spam email in Outlook Express.
The result is that as soon as I load IE, it appears to get stuck in a loop trying to access a sight I have never visited. Any attempt to type a URL, or access other sights directly by using the program that would normaly open them is overridden by this loop.
I have looked at my Internet settings in Control Panel, and my Home Page has not changed. I have tried 'System Restore' but with no success, and am now at a loss on the way ahead.
Memory usage gradually rises as the process runs out of control until I close IE, which often requires using 'End Process' in Task Manager.
I am now using Netscape to access the net, but many of my programs only open web pages with IE.
Does anyone have any idea how I can overcome this?

VoG II 21:07 30 Nov 2003

You may have picked up some spyware (I'm assuming that you have up to date anti virus).

Try Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here

If they don't work, CWShredder click here

Martlet 22:24 30 Nov 2003

VoG,
Thanks for the suggestions, but having tried all of them now, I still have the problem.

VoG II 22:28 30 Nov 2003

Try a repair of IE click here

Martlet 23:04 30 Nov 2003

VoG,
Got as far as repairing IE, but I seem to now have a file or setting missing. All I get is 'Cannot find server'

VoG II 23:10 30 Nov 2003

Have a search for a file called HOSTS (no file extension). If you find one rename it to HOSTS.OLD and try running IE again.

Martlet 23:16 30 Nov 2003

VgG,
Still no luck. HOSTS renamed, but still 'Cannot find server'

VoG II 23:19 30 Nov 2003

(a) reboot and try again

(b) System Restore

Martlet 23:22 30 Nov 2003

VoG, OK will try again before I have to get to bed. Many thanks for your help. Martlet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone